For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior.
The enemies of The Cross of Christ are those in the Church who trust in themselves, in their self-Righteousness, performance, or good works as a means of earning or obtaining God’s Love, Acceptance, Favour, Blessing, or Salvation.
Usually, it isn’t the knowledge that Christ was Crucified for us on Calvary that people are enemies of. The truth is that I become an enemy of The Cross of Christ if I won’t take up my own cross and crucify my own flesh with its passions and desires; that is, if I myself am not willing to be crucified with Him, (Galatians 5:24; Galatians 2:20). Jesus said that I am to daily bear the cross! (Luke 9:23.)
To be crucified with Him means denying myself and giving up my own will, my own lusts, and desires. I may be readily willing to agree that Christ Died for me on The Cross, but do I acknowledge that I too must die — a death to the lusts of the flesh?
Who are the enemies of the cross?
- If I am not willing to crucify my own passions and desires then I will be counted among those who are enemies of the cross of Christ! But why would I not be willing to give these things up? It must be because I still have a desire for the things of this world.
2. EARTHLY MINDED; Paul writes about such people: “Whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things.” Philippians 3:19; (a life of hostility to the teachings of suffering, humility and love), and that life certainly leads to destruction.
3. To be Heavenly minded implies you are careful about your behavior, as you anticipate remaining in good standing with God until The Return of Christ
4. Unfortunately, many are those who have chosen to be Enemies of The Cross, and are walking on the broad way that leads to destruction (Matthew 7:13)
5. If I want to live for myself, fulfilling the lusts of my flesh, then I quite naturally become an enemy of The Cross. Because the Purpose of the cross is to Crucify self-life – my own will, my ego, my lusts.
Grant me grace oh Lord, that my behavior will be consistent with the teachings of Christ that I shall never be an enemy of The Cross, but that rather I will embrace, humility and love: as a true follower of Christ (Philippians 3:10)