(NKJV): “And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?”
(CEV): “Later, as Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him in private and asked, “When will this happen? What will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the world?”
Jesus Sat on the very place where the prophecy He was about to Give will occur: The Mount of Olives. This gave a panoramic view of both Jerusalem and the temple from the east. Jesus had just Given A Prophecy about the destruction of the temple The disciples, shaken by this prophecy, asked Jesus two questions. They assumed that the destruction of the temple would take place at the Second Coming.
1) “Tell us, when will these things be: “These things” refers to Jesus’ Statement about the destruction of the temple and the fall of Jerusalem (vv 1-2). Jesus Did not Answer this question directly in chapters 24 and 25. He Did Indicate that “this generation will not pass away until all these things take place” (v 34). However, in terms of the exact time Jesus said, “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only” (Mt 24:36)
2) And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age: In the Greek the word “the” governs both “the sign of Your coming” and “of the end of the age.” The disciples did not separate the two events. In their view, the destruction of Jerusalem entailed the end of the age with the coming of the Messiah. Jesus Referred to His Coming in three places (vv 27, 37, 39). The Second Coming will occur just after the Tribulation period of seven years.
The phrase “the end of the age” means the end of the age of Israel. The Second Coming will complete that age. The “present age” to Jesus and the disciples was the one before the Messianic age began. The Old Testament taught a sequence of prophetical events:
1) Destruction of Jerusalem (Zech 14:1)
2) Messiah would come and end the present age of Israel (Zech 14:3-8)
3) Messiah would set up a new kingdom for Israel (Zech 14:3-11).
The Rapture will occur just before the Tribulation. The disciples had no knowledge of the Rapture but only of the Second Coming.
A real estate developer bought a land and built a two-bedroom apartment on it. To him, that was a a short-term plan because his actual intention was to build a multi-purpose mansion on it. Before he travelled abroad, he offered the place to a homeless family and assured them he would definitely come back, pull the structure down and build the intended one.
These people with time began to misbehave and threaten the owner that, according to law, they were entitled to his accommodation. You can imagine what happened; the very person who built the house proved that he had the power to drive them out, demolish the structure and put up a much more luxurious building.
God created the Heavens and the Earth. He spoke the earth into being. If The Same God Says that due to the negative attitude of the tenants of the earth, He Intends to Judge these people, Destroy the world and Release a new Heaven and a new Earth, why should we doubt Him?
God Promised The First Coming of Jesus The Messiah. Several prophets prophesied about His Coming and at a point, some Jews stopped tracking the First Messianic Advent. If after several years of prophecies, Jesus came to Seek and Save the lost, then we ought to be assured that this Same Jesus, no matter how long it takes, Will surely Come again.
Just as Jesus’ disciples asked for the signs of the Last Days so they will not be taken aback by the end of the world, so must we also be watchful. By all means, this world will someday come to an end, so always live ready
The day of the Lord’s return will surprise us like a thief. The Heavens Will Disappear with a loud noise, and the heat will melt the whole universe. Then the earth and everything on it will be seen for what they are. Everything will be destroyed. So you should serve and honour God by the way you live. (2 Pet 3 (CEV) 10-11)
Heavenly Father, please Forgive us for our sins and Help us to live for you, in anticipation of The Coming of Christ.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.